How to Rent a Home
Each home and condo rental listing has a page on our site with photos, virtual tour, driving directions, and more!
To visit and walk through a selected rental property, call us at (910) 867-0551 to schedule an appointment or just come to our office.
Take a look at The HPM Leasing Process (PDF) so you will know what to expect and when to expect it. The more informed you are… the better experience you will have in securing your new home in our management.
Rental Application Process
Each adult who will occupy the property must submit a complete application and fee, to include married couples. The application fee (per adult) is non-refundable as it covers the application process fees and must be paid, regardless of whether your application is approved.
In the application process for each tenant, we verify the following:
– Credit report
– Criminal background
– Prior evictions
– Rental history
– Income and employment verification
How to submit an application for any of our listed rental properties:
1. Complete our online rental application directly from any property listing you are interested in renting or Print Application (PDF) and bring to the office, you must include a separate Residential Verification Form (PDF) for online and printed applications. It is recommended that you check with our Leasing Division to see if there is an application on the property that is currently processing. HPM does not remove a property until it has a signed lease. This way you will know if there are any applications (processing or approved) on that property to help you determine if you want to submit an application on that property at this time. Review our Application Policy (PDF).
2. Pay an application fee of $40.00 for each adult (over the age of 18) who will occupy the property. The application fee may be paid online with credit card or with a money order/cash in office, no personal checks accepted. The application fee is non-refundable. We cannot process your application until we receive the application fee.
3. Applicants must be able to prove a monthly gross income equal to 3 times the monthly rent. Proof of income will be needed for all parties on the application. Pay check stubs equivalent to 1 month of income will be used for proof. Only retired individuals can use most recent bank statement showing their government electronic deposits, i.e. social security, etc. as you will not have pay stubs. Individuals will need to qualify separately; married couples can combine their income. Applicants must have at least 1 month of verifiable income. Unemployment checks cannot be used as income.
4. A copy of ID (Driver’s License) is required for all applicants. Applicants must be able to show a Social Security Card (SSN) with their name on it and/or a payroll check showing name and SSN number. Simply “remembering it” is not sufficient. If applicable, a current and original Power of Attorney (POA) must be presented when signing Rental Agreement for another party.
5. If you are renting a property without visiting the property first a Site Unseen Application Addendum (PDF) must be signed and provided before a Residential Rental Contract will be signed by Landlord.
A property will remain listed and available for rent until your application is marked as approved. If approved, you have 3 business days to secure the property before HPM will process any other applications for the property. Property is secured by signing a lease to begin tenancy for a future date agreed upon. HPM does not “hold” properties, so if no action is taken by you within the 3 business days you could lose your application position on that property. Click here for further explanation of our Application Policy (PDF).
As a tenant, there are no surprises in dealing with Homeowners Property Management. You are welcomed with a Tenant Manual (PDF) that outlines how to interact with us, to include everything from move-in to move-out. Feel free to preview our Tenant Manual.
– Online Application, located on every rental listing page
– The HPM Leasing Process (PDF)
– Printable Application (PDF)
– Residential Verification Form (PDF)
– Site Unseen Application Addendum (PDF)
– Tenant Manual (PDF)